IMPROVING PHYSICAL ACTIVITY ADHERENCE
Over 50% of all people participating in a physical activity program will stop before they reach six months. (Dishman, 1988).
Many factors can predict the success or failure of starting and maintaining a physical activity program. Many of these factors you can control!!!
Tips to help you do higher intensity activity:
Further improvements in health status and weight loss can be achieved with greater intensities and/or volumes of physical activity.
- Start with light and moderate intensity activities and slowly increase frequency, duration, and intensity.
- It may take more time to reach a more vigorous level, but it may help reduce injuries. For this reason, beginning with moderate intensity may be just as effective (Cox, Gorely, Puddey, Burke & Beilin, 2003)
FACTORS PREDICTING ADHERENCE
- Behavioral and coping skills
- Support of friends and family
- Available time
- Easy access to exercise facilities
- Belief in self
WEIGHING PROS & CONS
Weighing the pros and cons to starting a physical activity program can help support you in making the best decision for you.
Using the form below, list the pros to physical activity in the left column and in the right column, list the cons to physical activity.
Hit a plateau? Change it Up.